“I just discovered a tooth in a tiny hole in wall, which had been wrapped in cotton wool. A tooth is a part of ourselves, isn't it? A bit like our personality. I remember in the newspaper, a man lost his arm in an accident and wanted to have it buried. The authorities refused. The arm was cremated and that was that. I wonder if they refused to give him the ashes...and if so, by what right? Tell me... At what precise moment does an individual stop being who he thinks he is? Cut off my arm. I say, "Me and my arm." You cut off my other arm. I say, "Me and my two arms." You take out my stomach, my kidneys, assuming that were possible... And I say, "Me and my intestines." And now, if you cut off my head... would I say, "Me and my head" or "Me and my body"? What right has my head to call itself me? What right?”
Shedding our baby teeth is an interesting time in our development. The myth of the tooth fairy for cash- the first examples of us selling off a part of ourselves. I kind of wish I had kept my wisdom teeth after they pulled them. My ex-husband has them now. In exchange for alimony... at the time a fair deal. He always threatened to clone me some day. I thought he was kidding. Unbeknownst to her, his present wife has recently been artificially inseminated with a mini-me. I woke up to the text yesterday followed by an “lol”. His version of some kind of revenge, I suppose. Well I did one better. I stole the hair off my dad’s pillow last fall, and will be giving birth any day now.
No comments:
Post a Comment